Photo Funnel: Easy Photo Import on Linux

A while ago, I cobbled together Photo Funnel, a simple tool for importing photos and RAW files from storage cards to a Linux machine. Although it wasn’t meant to replace digiKam, I ended up using it as my primary import tool for two reasons: speed and simplicity. But just because it does the job, it doesn’t mean that it can’t be improved. So I’ve spent a couple of evenings tweaking Photo Funnel.

photo-funnel

Firstly, I moved all configurable parameters to a dedicated configuration file. During the first run, Photo Funnel prompts you to specify the required parameters and saves them in the ~/.pf file. I also added an installer script that lets you compile the required software and install Photo Funnel using a single command:curl -sSL https://is.gd/photofunnel | bash

The installer also adds a desktop launcher on KDE, so you can launch Photo Funnel by double-clicking on its desktop icon. Photo Funnel supported geotagging right from the beginning, and the new version adds the ability to write useful information into the EXIF metadata of the imported photos. This includes a copyright notice, camera model, lens, and weather condition on the day the photo was tasken. This way, when I browse photos in digiKam, I can quickly see what camera and lens I used to take a specific photo along with the weather on the day the photo was taken in the Captions sidebar.

I use Photo Funnel openSUSE, but it should work on any modern Linux distribution. For more information, visit the project’s website.

Advertisements

Tech writer covering Linux and open source software

Tagged with: ,
Posted in Open Source, Software
6 comments on “Photo Funnel: Easy Photo Import on Linux
  1. Malcul says:

Why? Can you not just drag and drop from one file manager to another? How does this make life easier?

• Dmitri Popov says:

Because Photo Funnel renames, geotags, and organizes files. It also writes data into EXIF. Have you read the post at all?

• TheOuterLinux says:

I like using Shotwell for this. Also, exiftool can do the EXIF data stuff if you like the command-line.

2. Pavel says:

And what about Rapid Photo Downloader (http://damonlynch.net/rapid/) – would not be better to join limited development capacities instead of fragmenting it in two very similar projects?

• Pavel says:

Limited > precious

• Dmitri Popov says:

Well, by this logic, there should be only one of every open-source application: one browser, one photo management tool, one text editor. Because why waste precious resources on having several tools that do the same? The reality is that people develop tools with overlapping functionality for different reasons. I built Photo Funnel, because I needed a fast tool with few dependencies that does very specific things.

Recipes for automated and streamlined photographic workflow on Linux

Use digiKam? Get this book!

Practical advice for nighttime photography